Packing for safari is a topic we get asked a lot about. It can get technical particularly since the charter planes that fly in and out of the safari parks have a weight restriction of 33 pounds (15kg) and you still need to pack for the rest of your vacation. Here are our best recommendations:
Pack clothing in earth tones. The Tsetse Fly is found is most parts of Africa (aside from South Africa) They are attracted to blue and black. These nasty critters give a painful bite, not something you want to experience.
Leave your camouflage at home. In most parts of Africa, it is considered poacher or military wear and you don’t want to draw negative attention to yourself.
- 1x – Pair of long pants for the evening drives. When the sun goes down, the temperature cools very quickly.
- 1x Fleece Jacket. You will be grateful you packed something warm.
- 1x Sports bra. Ladies on bumpy, game drives your puppies will bounce! Another item you will be thankful you packed.
- 1x Plug converter – Africa is on a 230 voltage so you won’t be able to plug your electronic devices and camera batteries into the wall. Hudson Bay, Amazon and AMA usually stock converters. (If you leave yours at home, they can be purchased at the airport when you land).
- Power Backups for your devices. There may be limited access to plugs to recharge your devices.
- 1x – Medical Aid Kit – In the African bush the nearest town might be hours away.
- Cold Medication
- Diarrhea Medication
- Cough Drops
- Throat Lozenges
- Bandage/ Plasters/ ankle or knee brace if you have had previous injuries
- Antibiotic (if your Dr is willing to recommend something generic)
- After Sun Lotion
- Bug Spray
- Antibacterial wipes
- Anti Malaria tablets
- Sun Screen
- Antacid medication
- 3x t-shirts
- 3x shorts
- 1x sunhat (preferably with a wide brim)
- 1x warm woolen hat (for the winter months)
- 3x pairs of socks
- 1x swimsuit
- 1x pair of lightweight, durable walking shoes or hiking boots
- 1x pair of flip-flops or sandals (for wearing around camp)
- 2x breathable long-sleeve shirts
- 1x folding disposable raincoat
- A supply of Ziploc bags to keep your dirty laundry separate from your clean clothes
- 1x headlamp (if you are camping or you are staying in budget accommodation)
- 1x towel (if you are camping or staying in budget accommodation)
The key to a successful pack is to leave the excess at home. You don’t need that extra pair of shoes or dangly earrings. You’re going to Africa: take pleasure in being surrounded by the stars and the call of the bush and leave the dazzle at home.