Empowerment - We empower people by helping them change their lives. Before they can learn or work they need the basics. Food, a home, sanitation, fresh water and emotional support are all a part of empowerment. Our goal is to get these basic elements to every person.
Community - The communities we work in are carefully hand picked. We target 'grass roots' organisations that are making an impact in their local community.
Good Stewardship - Saving The Hungry is committed to careful stewardship of all financial and human resources. We use resources sparingly and invest the donations wisely.
Tourism for Change - We work with North Americans to help fund and build sustainable projects. Our tours have an education focus. We aim to motivate people to become more responsible travelers and global citizens. Our tours are fundraising adventures that will leave a lasting impact on the lives of North Americans and the places you visit.
- Our projects are driven by the needs of the community we support, NOT by the needs of our volunteers.
- We choose our photographs and text carefully so that we don’t degrade the people we serve.
- Saving The Hungry does not take employment away from the locals.
- We require police clearance and background checks on all volunteers working with children.
- We encourage volunteers to fund-raise or donate to support the projects they work on.
- We operate as an incorporate non-profit organisation - No 5120709257. Our goal is to cover our costs, not to generate a profit.
"It was so difficult to witness that level of poverty and desperation. But overall, we were far more rewarded than we could have ever imagined. No words can express my gratefulness to Saving The Hungry for giving me the opportunity to participate in this journey.
I would highly encourage anyone to go if you have the chance – just be prepared to change lives including your own”